Saturday, August 15, 2009

Preparations are Underway

Looks like the countdown begins on Monday, the delay due to my late-night ordering on Netflix on a Friday night.

Looking again through the Empire list, I'm really not that impressed with their choices. They've forgotten some real classics (The Sound of Music? What's that?), and they've put in some completely idiotic choices (Star Wars - Episode I and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull chief among them). But in their defense, this list may not be all classics - but it seems to be a fantastic base to get your pop culture trivia knowledge going.

The project might be a wee bit more expensive than I planned. I only put the first 100 films on my Netflix queue so far, and I'm afraid to say, seven of the titles were not found on the site, including - wait for it! - Disney's Beauty and the Beast. How ridiculous is that?!

I actually bought some of the other missing titles via various sites. This got me anxious, so I started looking at future orders that might not show up, and one of them will be a real doozy. The French silent film Napoleon (1927) is a 5.5-hour long behemoth that hasn't even been released in Region 1. I couldn't even find but one copy of it in Region 2 - going for 20 euros. Maybe once this blog becomes famous and I'm close to a movie deal, I'll ask Netflix for some sponsorship.

I'm avoiding spreading the word around to friends that I've even created this yet.. I need to get a few posts under my belt before I have the confidence to promote myself.

To conclude my final post before the beginning of the project, I'd just like to say that Jurassic Park was on HBO today, and that pretty much made my afternoon. It's too bad such a beautifully done movie had such sucktacular sequels.

No comments:

Post a Comment