Wednesday, September 9, 2009

#475: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)

Director: Gore Verbinski
Cast: Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom & Keira Knightley

I hate these movies. The first one was okay. I thought it was complex. But then! Disney thought it'd be a great deal to blow all their moolah on special effects and make a completely convoluted plot that's nearly impossible to follow. Look, I can't even write my usual synopsis in my first paragraph.

The acting is overrated. I've always said that Johnny Depp is overrated in this role, as he was for Sweeney Todd. He's got so much potential, and he's completely wasting it. Keira Knightley is also somewhat talented, but this doesn't show much. Orlando Bloom just isn't talented.

Even the music was a waste - it was exactly the same as the original. I believe this is because Zimmer decided to be all larger than life in his score for the first film, there's just nowhere for it to go.

I have to admit, I'm not even all the way through as I write this, which I've never done before on this list. At least I've seen it before and know that nothing's really going to happen that changes my mind on this waste of Disney's money.

Fun Trivia (Stolen from IMDB):
  • In most shots of the cannibal island, the background scenery has been digitally altered. Some overview shots are completely computer generated.
  • Tia Dalma's swamp is a recreation of the opening bayou scene in the ride in Disneyland complete with fireflies.
  • The scene where Sparrow's character is hurled across a canyon and landing on his feet while tied to a pole, is amazingly not using CG nor any other sort of camera trickery, not even wires. A man was actually tied hands and feet to a pole and then, by the use of specially created rigs (along with a dose of scientific pre-calculations for acceleration, distance etc), physically catapulted over that junction, doing a somersault mid-ways in the air and landing perfect on his two feet - all in one take! (Source: The "World Stunt Awards" TV show, 2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment