Director: Jan de Pont
Cast: Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock & Dennis Hopper
A psychopath ex-cop goes bomb-happy, placing a bomb on a bus in Los Angeles that is set when the bus hits 50mph, and goes off when the bus decelerates to below 50mph. An officer gets himself onto the bus to try to defuse the bomb, and stuff goes nuts.
Despite its incomprehensible 90% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, this movie is one of the worst choices for the list. I'm not even going to deny it - I'm not ashamed - I organized my DVDs while watching this film. The acting is awful (except for Sandra Bullock, who is doing her usual, Sandra Bullock-esque thing), the music is lowest of the low in the early-to-mid-90's genre, and the plot is laughable. There are so many plot holes, that the film in fact becomes one big hole.
It did actually win two Oscars, for Best Effects (Sound Effects Editing) and Best Sound, with another nomination for Film Editing. So basically, the explosions and stuff sound pretty neat.
If you somehow got through the 90's without seeing this film, congratulations.. you're one of the lucky few.
Fun Trivia (Stolen from IMDB):
- The film was originally written with the intention that Jeff Bridges would play Jack and Ellen DeGeneres would play Annie. DeGeneres was initially chosen because the role of Annie was going to be a comedic role opposite the serious role of Jack.
- Halle Berry turned down the role of Annie.
- The bus jump scene was done twice, as the bus landed too smoothly the first time. The bridge was actually there, but erased digitally.
- One of the buses used in the filming of Speed has appeared in more than 60 films and commercials, as well as the music video for theTracy Chapman song "Telling Stories".
- Quentin Tarantino was originally offered the chance to direct, but turned it down.